We know you’ll have great ideas of your own, but we’ve put together some simple ideas for how you can commit to helping others as a family to get you started.
- Make greeting cards to take to children in hospitals. If you meet one special child at the hospital, commit to pray consistently for him or her.
- Put a penny, dime or quarter into a jar every time you go to the refrigerator then donate the money to give food to the poor.
- If you already sponsor a child, draw him or her pictures and write a letter.
- Pray for your sponsored child when you do a specific task each day, such as each time you brush your teeth.
- Start a chore chart. For each chore completed, earn money to give to an organization that helps children or orphans.
IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD
- Have a lemonade stand. Beside your lemonade, have two pitchers—one with muddy water and one with clean water. Tell people you’re raising money to give kids clean water.
- Collect books and toys and donate them to organizations that need them.
- Have a toy garage sale and raise money for kids who don’t have toys.
- Gather the family together to volunteer one evening at a local shelter or ministry that supports those in poverty.
- Visit a home for the elderly and spend some time reading with the people who live there.
- Volunteer with a local organization that helps children living in foster care or difficult situations. You might be able to donate goods, cook meals or simply spend time with at-risk children. Or ask if there’s a way you can partner with their ministry in praying for their needs.
- Begin a prayer group for a particular topic you feel passionate about.
AROUND THE WORLD
- Sponsor a child, and commit to praying for and writing to them.
- Look through compassion.ca/shop and raise money to support the needs of children around the world.
- Collect coins in a large water cooler and use it to provide clean water to families in Uganda.
- Commit to praying for children who are in need in other countries by signing up for Compassion’s daily prayer email.
- Become a volunteer with Compassion and use your skills and passion to make a difference in the lives of children in need.
To receive updates on future resources, please contact us.